The Theolodudes had me on a few weeks ago to discuss my understanding of Romans 13:1-7 – that it refers to God’s sovereign, decretive, providential empowerment of specific men to rule over others, rather than to God’s establishment of the office of civil magistrate.
Writing in 1863, Hodge notes
The Puritan or Independent theory of the Church, that it consists exclusively of those who are deemed regenerate, and their minor children, has unfortunately gained ascendency over many of our ministers and members. This is to be attributed partly to the general familiarity with the writings of Owen and other English Independents, but especially to the all-prevailing influence of the ideas and principles of the New England Congregationalists.
Church Polity (244)
Compare with an 1857 essay in the Princeton Review titled “The Neglect of Infant Baptism.”
[W]hat most concerns us, we have often known it to be said, that in the Presbyterian Church there has been, for some time, a growing disregard for the baptism of children. Indeed, we have heard it boldly and publicly asserted, that this doctrine is fast becoming “a dead letter” in many parts of our Church…
[A]dverse influences were more and more operating on the minds of parents, and gradually destroying their regard for this seal of the covenant; thus producing increasing neglect of the ordinance from year to year.
It is our opinion that the decrease of infant baptism has really been caused by increased neglect. And, after carefully considering the subject – after conversing with brethren in all parts of the Church, and observing the proportion of baptism to members in many Churches; and after no only examining our own General Assembly’s early and later statistics, but also the statistics of baptisms in Churches in old and new settlements, 30, 40, and 50 years ago; we are with pain inevitably driven to the conclusion, that there cannot be less than one infant subject of baptism for every six members of the whole Church. And consequently we must conclude that whilst there were but 205,041 children reported as baptized during the last 20 years, the reports should have amounted to 618,339, leaving not less than 413,298 unbaptized.
What causes have been at work to produce such extensive neglect of infant baptism?
1. We may mention the greatly increased and very extraordinary efforts of the various anti-Pedobaptist bodies, to disseminate their sentiments within the past thirty-five years.
The careful student of history cannot fail noticing a connection between the history of those efforts and the variations of the tables given above.
Compare with Ron Baines’ excellent essay SEPARATING GOD’S TWO KINGDOMS: Two Kingdom Theology among New England Baptists in the Early Republic in JIRBS 2014, as well as Presbyterian vs Congregationalist vs Baptist Sacramentology and The Evolution of Reformed Paedobaptism, as well as 1689 Federalism & America’s Founding.
Part 2 of my discussion of covenant theology on Semper Reformanda Radio is now live: https://thorncrownministries.com/srr/2018/11/28/srr-93-brandon-adams-on-covenant-theology-amp-republication-part-ii
The State of Nature During the English Civil War era (the time of the Westminster Assembly), English political philosopher Thomas Hobbes explained the social contract theory in his book Leviathan (1651), largely influencing modern political philosophy. The theory is a […]
All these things came upon Jerusalem the bond woman, in which some also reigned who were children of the free woman, holding that kingdom in temporary stewardship, but holding the kingdom of the heavenly Jerusalem, whose children they were, in true faith, and hoping in the true Christ.
Chapter 10.—How Different the Acts in the Kingdom of the Earthly Jerusalem are from Those Which God Had Promised, So that the Truth of the Promise Should Be Understood to Pertain to the Glory of the Other King and Kingdom.
The phrase “natural law” itself is capable of so many interpretations that anyone who advocates natural law must expend a great deal of effort explaining what he means.1 In his excellent essay Perspective on Natural Law, Gordon H. Clark argues […]
In the long list of things I have found that are detrimental to my health (see health category for some background), I have realized that EMF from cell phones and WiFi are up near the top. Treating it (through EMF detox and avoidance) has given me a great deal more energy. I sent the following list of resources to someone recently and thought some of you may be interested:
- Parts 1, 2, and 4 in this series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr9Z0WeGtDk&list=PLf41Jom1MpoZu_JqaQHOSDzr2ymamWY8m
- Part 2 is from a Washington State University professor emeritus who has done significant studies demonstrating the mechanism (voltage-gated calcium channels) by which EMF causes autism symptoms. Here is one of his studies http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891061815000599
- EUROPAEM EMF Guideline 2016 for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of EMF-related health problems and illnesses
- BioInitiative 2012 a comprehensive study by an international team of 29 doctors and scientists
- 700 Studies Showing Health Effects from Cell Phone Radio Frequency Radiation
- I certainly haven’t read all of this, but it’s a helpful table of contents categorizing scientific studies by health effect
- 136 Studies Showing Health Effects from WiFi Radio Frequency Radiation
- similar but focused on WiFi
- The insurance industry has begun officially excluding coverage for health effects related to EMFs
- WI-FRIED? a helpful television episode about it. Note: This episode got the entire series cancelled. There are tremendous politics involved.
- Autism One 2016 EMF Talks
- Peter Sullivan’s website and short Youtube videos are helpful
- Have you been duped by Crony Science? Some of the politics behind it
So we have removed WiFi from the house and I use my cell phone much, much less. I finally got a VOIP yesterday so I will be using my cell phone only when I am away from home and need to make a call now (what a novel idea).
Alan Maher’s grounding products (starting with the shoe inserts) have been shockingly helpful. I would encourage everyone to take steps away from EMF exposure, and if you have chronic health issues, it is very likely EMFs are a contributing factor.